In this blog, we’ll discuss Google Tag Manager (GTM). This tool can help marketers track and manage visitors’ actions on their website or mobile app. For example, someone clicks on a product or subscribing to a newsletter.
We’ll be covering the features and benefits of Tag Manager, as well as providing tips for using it effectively. Whether you’re new to Tag Manager or have some experience with the tool, we hope you find our content helpful.
What is GTM?
It allows you to easily add and manage tags from services like Google Analytics and AdWords, as well as third-party providers. It can track the effectiveness of marketing campaigns, analyze website traffic, and trigger specific actions or events on your website or app.
To give you a visual of how it works.
[Google Tag Manager] <– code installed on the website
|–> [Tag (tracking or marketing code)]
|–> [Trigger (action on the website)]
|–> [Tag fired]
|–> [Data sent to Google Analytics]
And it will now show a conversion on Google Analytics. Based on the above, GTM is an intermediary between your website and analytics tools.
For a better understanding, also see the picture on the right.
Features and Benefits of GTM
One of the main benefits of using GTM is that it can be integrated with various marketing and analytics platforms (for example Google Analytics), making it a versatile tool for any digital marketing strategy.
Furthermore, Other benefits of GTM are its ease of use. It also lets you add and update your tags for conversion tracking, site analytics, and more! The options are endless. Also, its modular design allows you to change the tag configuration anytime.
Some main features of Google Tag Manager include the following:
- Tag management: You can add and manage various types of tags, including tracking and marketing tags on your website. This allows you to track user behaviour, measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns, and gather other types of data about your website visitors.
- User-friendly interface: Google Tag Manager has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for non-technical users to add and manage tags on their website. You can use the interface to create and publish tags, preview how the tags will look on your website, and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
- Works with various tags: Google Tag Manager works with a wide variety of tags, including tags from Google and third-party providers. This means you can use Google Tag Manager to manage all your tags in one place rather than adding and managing each tag individually.
- Enhanced security: Google Tag Manager includes security features to protect your website and users’ data. For example, it uses a secure connection to communicate with your website and has features to prevent unauthorized access to your tags.
For those who want to know all the features GTM has to offer, Google has an extensive list with all the features the tool has to offer!
Tips when using GTM
- Use the preview and debug feature: Before publishing any changes to your website, use the preview and debug feature to test your tags and triggers. This will help you catch any errors or mistakes before they go live.
- Organize your tags: Use folders and naming conventions to keep your tags organized and easy to find. This will save time for making changes or updating your tags.
- Use built-in variables: Google Tag Manager includes a variety of built-in variables that you can use to populate your tags with data. For example, you can use the “Click URL” variable to track clicks on specific links on your website.
- Use the Google Analytics Settings variable: If you are using Google Analytics with Google Tag Manager, use the Google Analytics Settings variable to set your tracking ID and other configuration options. This will help ensure that your tags are correctly configured.
In summary, Google Tag Manager is a valuable tool for marketers looking to track and optimize their digital marketing efforts. Because of GTM’s ease of use and custom event tracking, it can help you gain valuable insights into your audience and improve your marketing strategy.
We hope this blog has provided helpful information. If you want to stay up to date with the latest tips and trends in digital marketing, be sure to follow our content and LinkedIn page.
We regularly post new articles and updates on various topics, including Google Tag Manager and other marketing tools and strategies. By following us, you’ll have access to valuable resources and insights that can help you take your marketing efforts to the next level. We look forward to connecting with you on LinkedIn and sharing more valuable content in the future.
Also check out our previous blog!